Monday, August 1, 2011

A name, a name, what's in a name?

I realize as we get closer and closer to the due date of our second little guy I am asked more and more if we have a name for him yet. And the answer is... we're hoping he'll tell us when he gets here. Which we're hoping is any day now. When I saw our OB two weeks ago she was worried that I might be delivering another "large baby" so she had me do an ultrasound. As of two weeks ago the baby was weighing about 7.5 lbs...estimating a weight gain of about a half pound per week...making him just about the same size as Garrett was by the time he's born (assuming this baby cooks as long as Garrett did). While we're praying that this baby comes a lot sooner rather than later I am honestly not worried about "how big this baby is". My first birth was to a 10lb 8oz child without any medication...I got this! Unless he's 12 lbs or bigger, I'm not worried. I never thought I could look back at that experience and feel "empowered" as most women say. I looked at myself as merely more of a "survivor". But as the time draws closer for us to help Heavenly Father bring new life into the world I am feeling more confident that I can not only "endure" or "survive" the experience but that "I got this" without worry. Yes, it'll hurt but everyone says second labors are shorter and besides, I had the trail blazed by a bulldozer.

As of Friday I am 80% thinned, 3 centimeters dilated and the baby is in -2 position. Any day now we'll let you know what he wants to be named. We have a few names in mind but we want to see him first. I know it may sound silly but a name is something I haven't taken lightly. I don't want to name my kid something that just "sounds cool" or something trending on twitter. I want a name with meaning and substance or at the very least a role model.

"Garrett" means "Strength". Garrett is also the middle name of one of the strongest people I know; my brother. My younger brother came to this world with a strong spirit and I can only imagine the things he would do if his physical body did not limit him. Dean Garrett is an incredible teacher, the most determined and hardest worker and the wisest soul I know. He is the best role model I could ever imagine for my son. My Garrett is outright silly, so stinkin' stubborn, loves music and has a lot to teach me...just like my Dean Garrett. I hope that Garrett will have even half the passion for life that Dean has. Dean has cerebral palsy and will be 26 this month, despite the many professional opinions who said he wouldn't live this long. Someone who rises against all odds and does so with a smile.-Yes, that's the role model I wanted for my son. Even if that name means nothing to others I hope it means something to him.

We have a few names in mind for our next child and just like Heleman we have been prayerful in our selections. We can't wait to see him and snuggle him and have him whisper what he'll be known as.

...too bad Gwyneth didn't listen for the whisper...poor little "Apple" girl.

2 comments:

Momza said...

well I'm in tears over here. Love you so much. I hope I'm there when Baby Awesome arrives, but then again, you "got this"!! I know you'll do great and Brad will take super good care of you.
Can't wait...12 days away.

Rachel said...

I completely agree with you about names. I love that you are taking it so seriously, because I think a name can be so meaningful and influential in our lives. I actually did not realize that Garrett was Dean's middle name - so awesome. He is such a great example, and I'm sure little Garrett will feel that as he gets older. Can't wait to see the new baby! And yes, please stick away from all fruit names..

Post a Comment